A Leave Allowance Template will help make managing leave for employees much easier.
With leave allowance templates, you’re able to create pre-defined sets of leave accrual values which can then be applied to new and existing employees. This then allows you to bulk update leave values for employees if the leave accrual rates or accrual methods change rather than having to update them individually for each new employee.
In a new business, there are two default leave allowance templates configured, which are as follows:
- First 3 months of employment - This category is to be used for the first 3 months and has no accruals for nay leave categories.
- Thereafter - Once an employee has surpassed 3 months of employment you can use this template for them which includes accruals for the following leave categories;
- Annual Leave
- Sick Leave
- Hospitalisation Leave
- National Service Leave
- Leave Without Pay
You can use these templates as is or change the settings within to suit your business OR you can create your own.
Setting up new leave allowance templates
- To setup a new leave allowance template, go to the 'Payroll settings' > 'Leave Allowance Templates' page.
- Click 'Add' to add a new template and fill in the relevant details. You’ll notice that only leave categories that automatically accrue leave are displayed in the Leave Allowances section. Enter a Template Name and then select the leave categories you want activated (i.e. you want employees to access) for this template.
- You will notice above that each leave category listed under Leave Allowances has an override button. Clicking on override will allow you to enter different values to that of the default. When you click on the left of the 'x' to activate the override, the default values will disappear and then you are able to enter a new set of values for that specific leave category. Then click “Save” and your leave template will be created.
- Now when you create a new employee, you will be able to select a leave allowance template that can be applied to this employee. You can also select a leave template for existing employees through the Leave Allowances page of the employee file.
- Finally, if you do need to make changes to the values in the leave template, you can do so. Once you click save you’ll be notified if there are employees already linked to the leave template and you’ll be asked if you want to apply the changes to all linked employees:
Copying a leave allowance template
You are able to copy a leave allowance template, which is handy if you need to create another slightly different template. Once you copy it, you just need to change the name, make the required changes and click 'save'.
In order to copy the template, go to the Payroll settings > Leave allowance template page and hover over the template that you want to copy. Click the 'copy' icon as shown below:
Once you do that, another template will be added underneath with the same name, appended by 'copy'.
If you have any feedback or questions on the employee leave templates feature, please send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org.