If you pay employees from multiple NZBNs, you may use employing entities to do so. You can set up additional entities and the associated details from the Employing Entities screen. You can access this screen from the payroll dashboard by clicking on Payroll Settings > Employing Entities (listed under the Business Settings heading).
Adding a new Employing Entity
From this screen, click on "Add" where you will then be prompted to complete a number of fields. Please note the following:
- Name: This is the legal company name (employing entity) that employs the staff.
- NZBN: The NZBN of the employing entity.
- Address: The address of the employing entity.
- Contact Name: The contact person of the employing entity.
- Contact Phone Number: The phone number of the employing entity.
- Contact Fax Number: This is an optional field.
- Contact Email Address: The contact person's email address.
- Signatory Name: This field is only required if you want the company representative name listed on earnings certificates to be different to the name listed in the "Contact Name" field.
- External ID: This field is only required if you use an external system to track payroll data and so need it to sync with the payroll system when importing files.
- Choose a logo: This refers to the pay slip logo. If you want a different logo appearing on the pay slip for this employing entity, upload the different logo. If no logo is uploaded here, it will revert to the default pay slip logo uploaded from the Pay Slips settings screen.
Once all the information is completed, click on "Save".
Reassigning an Employee to an Employing Entity
There may be instances where an employee was assigned to the incorrect employing entity or the business has added a new entity and wants to reallocate employees to different entities. You can reassign an employing entity to an employee by one of two ways - on an individual basis or, where more than 1 employee needs to be reassigned you can do this in bulk.
Reassigning an individual employee
This is done via the employee's file Here's how you assign individual employees to an employing entity:
- Open the employee file and click on the "Tax Code Declaration" page
- The first field on the screen offers you the option to select "Employing Entity". The employing entity will be set to the main business as the default. To change the employing entity, click on the 'Change' button.
- From the 'New Employing Entity' drop down, select the employing entity you wish to assign this employee to
- Choose to make the change effective as of "today", "employee's start date", or "custom date" and then click on the 'Change Employing Entity' button to save.
Here's how you 'bulk' assign employees to an employing entity:
- Go to "Payroll Settings" -> "Employing Entities" page
- Click on "Reassign Employing Entities" tab
- In the "Select Employees" tab, you have the ability to select one or more employee's by simply typing in their name and selecting them when it comes up.
- Choose the new employing entity from the options. If you only have one other employing entity, this will show as a default option.
- You are then able to choose to make the change effective from "today", "employee's start date", or "custom date".
- Click "Change Employing Entities" to save.
Things to note in regards to Employing Entities:
- If you have additional employing entities in your business file, most (but not all) reports will allow you to filter by employing entity.
- You can't have one employee employed by two different entities at the same time.
Deleting an Employing Entity
An employing entity can only be deleted if an employee assigned to that entity has never been paid in a pay run. The reason we do not allow users to delete an employing entity once it has been in use is so that historical records and payroll reports are not affected by such deletion.
To delete an employing entity, hover your mouse over the employing entity set up and you will see a red "x" icon:
Clicking on the icon will trigger a delete confirmation dialog. Click 'OK' to confirm deletion of the employing entity:
N.B. If the icon is disabled (ie displays in a grey colour) you will not be able to delete the employing entity for the reasons specified above.
If you have any questions or feedback please let us know via firstname.lastname@example.org