How do Public Holidays Work
Up to date national public holidays and regional anniversary dates are provided in each business, automatically.
For public holidays to function, the following steps must be taken:
- Set up your locations.
- Set up pay conditions to automatically apply public holiday rates (optional).
Checklist relating to public holidays
- Assign each location to a public holiday in payroll
- Manually add public holidays for custom holidays not automatically included such as company authorised (e.g. picnic days) public holidays, and assign each location to the public holiday.
Manually Adding Public Holidays
The settings for Public Holidays can be accessed and updated by clicking on the 'Payroll Settings' tab on the payroll dashboard, the 'Public Holidays' option is under the 'Business Management' heading:
- Manually add public holidays - click on required date on the calendar to add public holiday - please check for all national and regional public holidays not listed and add them in manually if required.
- Enter in the Description and add in the specific locations entitled to the public holiday.
- Then click on 'Save'.
- Once saved, the manually added public holiday is saved and shown in the calendar as per example shown below.
Add locations to Public Holiday
The locations need to be manually allocated to the Public Holidays. The reason being for this is that while there are regional holidays in NZ, they don't line up with Regions in a governmental/organisational sense, therefore allowing you to pick and allocate the public holidays that apply as you choose.
- Firstly you need to set up your locations.
- Click into the public holiday day, the below pop up will appear
- Within the 'Specific Locations' field, click into the field and select the relevant location applicable from the location listing.
- Then click on Save.
- The specific locations have now been added to the public holiday as per example shown below.
Setting up Public Holiday Pay Conditions
This section describes how to set up a basic rule for public holidays. For more information about pay conditions, refer to this article.
Please note that unless pay condition rules are set up, public holidays are not automatically applied during a pay run.
This section assumes that an appropriate Public Holiday pay category has been set up and that the public holiday rates have been configured for the employees.
To add a public holiday rule to your existing rule set:
- click 'Add Rule'
- Give your rule a name, eg: 'Public Holidays'
- in the 'WHEN' section, choose 'Public Holiday'
- in the 'THEN' section, choose 'Apply Pay Category' and then select an appropriate 'Public Holiday' pay category
- click 'Save'
Be sure to activate the rule set and associate the rule set with the appropriate employees.
If you have any feedback or questions please contact us via email@example.com