A Leave Allowance Template (LAT) will help make managing leave for employees much easier.
With leave allowance templates, you’re able to create pre-defined sets of leave accrual values which can then be applied to new and existing employees. This then allows you to bulk update leave values for employees if the leave accrual rates change rather than having to update them individually for each new employee.
Each business setting comes with two "standard" Leave Allowance Templates configured:
- First 6 mths of employment: This LAT is applicable to all employees who are within their first 6 months of employment. By default, employees will be able to apply for all the following types of leave (excluding Annual Leave Accrual):
Additionally, annual leave will start accruing from the first pay run after the LAT has been assigned:
- Thereafter: This LAT should be assigned to employees who have been employed 6 months or more. If an employee was initially assigned to the "First 6 mths of employment" LAT (based on their length of service), an admin user will be notified via a pay run warning that the employee has reached their 6 month anniversary and so can easily update the LAT to "Thereafter" for the applicable employee.
Similarly to the "First 6 mths of employment" LAT, employees are able to apply for all types of leave, except the Annual Leave Accrual leave category.In addition to the ongoing annual leave accrual, employees will receive an immediate entitlement of 10 days Domestic Violence Leave and 5 days Sick Leave. Any unused Domestic Violence Leave entitlements will not carry over on the next anniversary date and only a maximum of 20 sick leave days can carry over on the next anniversary date for each employee:
N.B. You can choose to edit the settings of the two default LAT settings to suit your business requirements or you can create own LATs.
Setting up a new leave allowance template
To set up a new leave allowance template, go to the Payroll Settings tab from the dashboard screen and click on "Leave Allowance Templates" under the Pay Conditions heading:
To add a new template, click "Add" (located on the top right hand side of the screen) and complete the following details:
- Template Name: Ensure the name is something that is explanatory to admin users. The template name is not made available to the employees, only full access users.
- Enabled Leave Categories: This section allows you to configure what leave categories you want employees to access when they submit leave requests. The default setting for each leave category is to not make it available to the employee. To change this, click on the left side of the toggle next to the leave category name. This will switch the toggle from red to blue, indicating it is now available for selection:
Please note the following:
- The leave category "Annual Holiday Accrual" is only used to accrue annual leave during the employee's 12 month period and should then be transferred to the "Annual Holiday Leave" leave category. As such, we strongly suggest this leave category is not made available to employees.
- If a new leave category is created after a LAT is created and the leave category is applicable to employees assigned to the LAT, you must update the relevant LAT to have it made available to the employees. Instructions on how to update a LAT are found below.
- Leave Allowances: This section allows you to set the accrual rates for the applicable leave categories. You will notice that only leave categories that automatically accrue leave are displayed here. Further information on the different accrual methods and settings can be found here. Take note of the "Override" option located to the right of the leave category - when the override is on, it allows you to enter different values to that of the default. When the override is off (ie, toggle is to the right and in red) the values cannot be amended at all.
Once the above is configured, click on "Save". You are then able to start assigning the LAT to new and existing employees.
Updating an existing leave allowance template
If you want to edit an existing LAT, click on the LAT name to expand the details. Make the necessary changes and then click on "Save". If there are employees already linked to the LAT you will be asked if you want to apply the changes to all linked employees:
If you click on "OK", the changes will be applied to the employees' leave settings as well.
If you click on "Cancel" the changes will only be saved to the LAT and the employees' leave settings will NOT be updated. Any employee assigned to the LAT thereafter will have the updated leave settings applied.
Assigning a leave allowance template to new and existing employees
You can assign a LAT to an employee immediately when creating a new employee or updating an existing employee via the:
You can also select or update an employee's LAT via the employee's Leave Allowances screen:
Select from the list of LATs already created in the dropdown list or you can choose the option "No Leave Allowances Template". If the latter option is chosen, you can then configure the leave categories the employee can apply for (via leave requests) and also change the accrual rates, if the leave category setting is configured to allow to be overridden.
If you have any feedback or questions, please send an email to email@example.com.