How do Public Holidays Work
The five fixed Public Holidays are automatically applied in the system:
- National Day;
- Yang di-Pertuan Agong's Birthday;
- Birthday of the ruler or governor of the state (Federal Territory Day in the federal territories) where the employee is contracted to work,
- Labour Day;
- Malaysia Day.
Public Holidays functionality are utilised in the following ways:
- Public holidays excluded when estimating amount of leave required for leave applications (public holidays are determined based upon the employee's default location)
- Pay conditions may be set up to automatically pay employees at different rates for public holidays
Please note that unless pay condition rules are set up, public holidays are not automatically applied during a pay run.
Manually Adding Public Holidays
As mentioned above, the five fixed Public Holidays by law have been added automatically in the system. As full time employees are entitled to eleven paid public holidays a year, seven paid public holidays a year for a part time employee; you can manually add the remaining paid holidays of your choice from the gazetted public holidays; recommended with notice provided to employees before the start of each calendar year.
When you add the required public holidays, you can assign each public holiday a location for which it will apply.
The settings for Public Holidays can be accessed and updated by clicking on the Payroll settings > Public holidays option:
This screen allows you to:
- Manually add public holidays - click on required date on the calendar to add public holiday - please check for all government public holidays not listed and add them in manually if required
- If you want a public holiday to apply to certain locations only you can assign a location to the public holiday when creating it.
Setting up Public Holiday Pay Conditions
This section describes how to set up a basic rule for public holidays.
This section assumes that an appropriate Public Holiday pay category has been set up and that the public holiday rates have been configured for the employees.
To add a public holiday rule to your existing rule set:
- click 'Add Rule' on the right hand side of the page
- Give your rule a name, e.g: 'Public Holidays'
- in the 'WHEN' section, choose 'Public Holiday'
- in the 'THEN' section, choose 'Apply Pay Category' and then select an appropriate 'Public Holiday' pay category
- click 'Save'
Be sure to activate the rule set and associate the rule set with the appropriate employees.
There are different scenarios in which you may want to automate for your Public Holidays, further details can be found in the following articles:
If you have any feedback or questions please contact us via email@example.com