In order to update an employee's pay run settings, click on 'Pay run defaults' under the 'Pay run settings' heading from within the employee's file.
You will see the following settings:
- Timesheets: You are able to enable timesheets, restrict timesheets, or enable just for exceptions. If timesheets are restricted, employees will not be able to submit timesheets themselves via WorkZone or the employee portal, however managers can still do this on their behalf.
- Pay Rate: You can select an hourly, daily, per annum or per month rate.
- Job title: This is an optional field
- Tiered leave allowance templates: There are a number of tiered leave allowance templates within the system that you can select from. Alternatively if you have created more they will appear here for selection.
- Leave allowance templates: There are a number of default leave allowance templates within the system that you can select from or use within a tiered leave allowance template. Alternatively if you have created more they will appear here for selection. If you have selected to attach a tiered leave allowance template to an employee, the system will automatically apply the correct leave allowance template, and this field will be locked.
NB: If the employee is not attached to a leave allowance template, the accrual rates for all leave categories will be nil.
- Pay schedule: The monthly pay schedule exists by default, although additional pay schedules can be added to the business and will appear here.
- Primary location: all employees must be assigned a default location so the system knows where to cost earnings, deductions and leave if there is no other location assigned. Employees can be assigned to more than one location however. Refer here on how this is done.
- Notifications: You will note that notification modes are split between pay slips and rostering. If the business does not utilise the rostering feature then there is no need to apply a setting. Regarding pay slips however, you can only choose 'Email' if there is an email address recorded in the employee's file. Also, please be advised that assigning 'SMS' as the pay slip notification type will incur a cost per sms sent.
- Primary pay category: There are a number of default pay categories that you are able to select, in addition to any other pay category that has been manually added to the business. When there is a mismatch between the rate unit specified for the employee and the rate unit for the primary pay category, a conversion may need to occur. The equivalent amount after the rate conversion will be displayed. For example, if a 'per annum' rate is entered for the employee and the primary pay category is set up as Hourly, the equivalent hourly rate will be displayed:
Due to rounding, the saved value may not be exactly equal to the amount entered. To avoid this, ensure that the rate unit specified is the same as the rate unit of the primary pay category. For example, if you commonly enter employee salaries as a 'per annum' figure, it is recommended that you configure the pay category to have a rate unit of 'Per annum' too. This can be done via Business payroll settings > Pay categories.
Standard Work Week
The Pay Run Defaults screen allows you to set up the working pattern of your employees. These settings then determine the following:
- the number of units of leave to be applied when an employee submits a leave request; and
- the conversion formula from days/weeks to hours when a leave request is applied in a pay run.
There are several ways to set up an employee's work pattern:
- Where an employee has fixed hours/days each week, you can set up advanced work hours; or
- If 1. above does not apply, you can set an employee's average hours and days per week. These settings are still important when analysing leave requests so are essential settings. By default, an employee's hours per day setting will default to the business' hours per day. This can be overridden by deselecting the "Use Standard Business Daily Hours" checkbox and entering the number of hours worked per day by the employee.
If you have any questions or feedback, please let us know via firstname.lastname@example.org