You can integrate your payroll with Comma to send payroll details to be processed as payments. Comma grants any business the power to make payments to multiple suppliers at once without manually keying in details or the need for corporate banking.
NOTE: You will not be able to pay with Comma for any automated pay runs you have set up. You will need to use the current process of adding BACS details. If you have a combination of manual and automated pay runs you can use Comma for the manual pay runs and download the BACS file for the automated pay runs.
You will not be able to add new BACS details while the Comma integration is enabled. If you need to add new BACS details you will need to disbale the Comma integration, add the Payment File details and then re-enable the Comma integration.
Connecting to Comma
You can connect with Comma by following these steps:
- Go to Payroll settings > Business Management > Integrations.
- Click on 'Comma' and select ‘Add’.
- Click Enable'.
The data that will be sent to Comma includes:
- User Name
- User Email
- Business Id
- Company House Registration Number
- Business Legal Name
- Company Address
- Payee Name
- Payee Account Number
- Payee Sort Code
- Payee Reference
- Payee Amount
- Date Paid
- Employee Id
NOTE: to use the Comma integration, you must have a valid Company House Registration Number saved in your 'Business Details' page. You must also have a 'First name' and 'Last name' saved on your account details page.
Pay with Comma
Once you have enabled the Comma integration, you will need to ensure you have your employee details set up, including valid bank details and salary/wages. You can then export a payment file by following these steps:
- Click on “Pay Runs”.
- Click on “New pay run”, select the “Pay schedule” enter the “Pay period ending” and “Date pay run will be paid” and click on “Create". For more information on how to create a pay run please see here.
- Check the pay run details and click “Finalise Pay Run”, then click "Finalise".
- Once the pay run has been finalised, click on “Pay with Comma”.
NOTE: At this point, a validation check will be done to make sure all employees have valid bank details. If an employee doesn’t have valid bank details you will receive an error message informing you of the employee name and the reason the bank details aren’t valid.
If any employees have been set up with manual payments or cash/cheque payments then these payments won’t be included in the payment file sent to Comma. You will receive a warning message informing you of the employees that may not be included.
- You will be redirected to Comma to connect to your bank and approve the payments.
NOTE: a check is done to see if you are the bank account holder. If you are not the bank account holder, you will not see the “Funds before” and “Funds after” on this page.
Approving a payment with Comma
NOTE: YOU CAN NOT EDIT OR DELETE A PAYRUN THAT HAS BEEN SENT TO THE BANK
When you are sure that the payment file won’t need any further changes, you need to follow this process:
- Click on “Pay next Group”.
- Select the payment date.
- Click “Continue to Bank”.
- You will be redirected to your bank to connect and approve the payment.
- You will return to the Comma page.
- Click “Return to Payroll”.
Authority to approve a payment
If you don’t not have authority to approve payments, you can click the Share button.
Enter an email address or choose an existing team member
A “magic link” URL will be sent to the email address entered and when the person clicks the URL they will be taken to this page to approve the payment.
Editing a pay run
As long as the payment file has not been sent to the bank you can edit your pay run and associated payment file. You simply need to:
- Click on “Return to Payroll” and make the changes to the pay run.
- Click “Sent to Comma” and you will be redirected back to Comma to approve the payment. The payment file will be updated with the new pay run details.
Deleting a pay run
As long as a payment file hasn’t been sent to the bank, you can “Return to Payroll” from within Comma to unlock and delete a pay run. This will automatically delete the payment file from Comma as well.
Payment file status
Once all of payments have been sent to the bank and approved the payment file status will be “Awaiting payment”. If you open a pay run, you will be able to see the payment status through the Comma button.
Once all of the payments have been made, the Comma button will be updated to “Paid”.
If for any reason the payment failed, you will be notified by the bank. The payment file will stay at “Awaiting approval” until the payments have been successful.
If you have any questions or feedback, please let us know via firstname.lastname@example.org