This article is for managers with leave permissions. Employees can refer to the How to Apply/Edit/Cancel Leave via the Employee Self Service (ESS) Portal article.
Managers can approve leave requests on behalf of employees in the employee management area. This is accessible by clicking the 'Manage Employees' button on your payroll dashboard:
This will take you to the leave management screen:
The functions on this page include:
- Creating a leave request
- Filtering leave requests
- Approving leave requests
- Declining leave requests
- Editing leave requests
- Cancelling leave requests
- Reviewing overlapping leave requests
- Reviewing available balance
- Exporting leave requests
Creating a leave request
A time saving feature of this page, is the 'Create leave request' option on the top right hand side of the page:
Clicking this button will take you to the 'Create leave request' page and allow you to enter the details for an employee wishing to take leave. More information on creating a leave request on behalf of an employee can be found here.
Filtering Leave Requests
The top part of the leave management screen contains the filters you can use to filter leave requests.
The following filters are available:
- Leave status - only display leave requests that match the selected status
- Leave period - only display leave requests that fall within the selected period
- Leave category - only display leave requests that match the selected leave category
- Employee - only display leave requests that match the selected employee
- Location - only display leave requests for employees who have their default location set to the selected location
In addition to filtering leave requests, you can choose to group them by:
- Employee - groups the leave requests by employee, with matching leave requests for a given employee displayed in each group
- Leave Category - groups the leave requests by leave category with matching leave requests for a given leave category displayed in each group
Approving Leave Requests
You can approve a leave request, by following these steps:
- Filter your leave requests to display the leave request that you want to approve
- Click on the "Tick" button to approve the selected leave request
The leave request is now approved.
Declining Leave Requests
You can decline a leave request, by following these steps:
- Filter your leave requests to display the leave request that you want to decline.
- Click on the "Cross" button to decline the selected leave request.
- Enter a reason that you have declined the leave request and click "Decline".
The leave request is now declined.
Editing Leave Requests
N.B. You can only edit a leave request before it has been applied or only part applied in a pay run. Fully applied leave can not be amended.
You can edit a leave request, by following these steps:
- Filter your leave requests to display the leave request that you want to edit.
- Click on the "Pencil" button on the leave request you want to edit.
- You will now see the edit leave request dialog. You can make any necessary changes to the leave request from this dialog. When you've completed your changes, click "Submit Request".
The leave request is now edited. If the leave request was approved prior to editing it will change back to a pending status and you will need to re-approve (if your permissions allow you to approve leave requests).
When editing a partially applied leave request, a user will be able to edit the last day of leave, work hours, notes and add an attachment. An information banner will indicate the relevant pay run and units of leave that have been already applied. The status of an amended partially applied leave request will update to 'pending' if there are hours not yet applied. If a leave request is amended to the full amount of hours already applied in a pay run, then the leave request is automatically 'approved' when submitted.
Cancelling Leave Requests
NOTE - you can only delete a leave request once it has been approved and has not been applied to any pay runs
You can cancel a leave request, by following these steps:
- Filter your leave requests to display the leave request that you want to delete
- Click on the "Trash" icon to cancel the request
- Confirm that you want to cancel the leave request
The leave request is now cancelled.
Reviewing Overlapping Leave Requests
If there are other leave requests that overlap with a particular leave request, you will see a yellow number near that leave request to indicate the number of leave requests that overlap with the selected leave request. If you hover over the yellow number, you'll see a summary of the overlapping leave requests.
If you click on the indicator, you'll get a summary of all the leave requests that overlap with the selected leave request.
Reviewing Available Balance
You can review the available balance of a leave request by hovering the mouse over the "Hours" column of any leave request.
When a pending leave request doesn't have enough hours available, it'll be highlighted in red.
When a pending leave request has enough hours available it'll be highlighted in green.
You can also hover your mouse over any given leave request to view the balance of the leave request and see the upcoming approved/pending leave that may affect the available balance.
Exporting leave requests
You are able to export leave requests to Excel by clicking the 'Excel' button. The export will include the same data as the UI, and in addition will include:
External ID (if relevant)
Actioned on date
- False: If the leave has not yet been processed in a pay run.
- True: If the whole leave request has been processed in a pay run or pay runs.
- Partial: If only part of the leave has been processed in a pay run or pay runs.
If you have any feedback or questions please contact us via email@example.com