Managers can submit timesheets on behalf of employees who are enabled to use timesheets. This is accessible by clicking on the 'Manage Employees' -> 'Create Timesheets' tab on the payroll dashboard as seen below:
NOTE: Now, managers can also create timesheets for all employees that aren't enabled for timesheets in their Employee File -> Pay Run Defaults page. To allow this feature, go to Payroll Settings -> Timesheets and tick the box that says 'Managers can create timesheets for all employees that aren't enabled for timesheets'. If the employee has not been enabled for timesheets (on their Pay Run Defaults page), a message will be shown and a link (if user is an admin) to enable the employee for timesheets.
Doing so will show the several controls to enable you to select the employee and date range for the timesheets.
From here you need to:
- (Optionally) adjust the week (or fortnight) for which the timesheets are to be entered. You are able to click on the left or right arrows to jump by weeks, alternatively you can click the calendar icon to choose your dates that way.
- Select your employee (drop down box). The timesheet grid will then be presented.
- Select employee's worktype. To find out more about setting employee work types, see "Worktypes". If Work Type is not specified, the hours recorded will be assigned to the default pay category for the employee when the timesheets are imported into a pay run.
- Choose start and end time. When entering start and end times, you can simply type 9a and it will recognise it as 9:00am. Similarly, for example, 530p will be recognised as 5:30pm.
- The "Duration" field will confirm to you how many hours have been entered on behalf of the employee
- Enter the break start/stop times for the employee (if any)
- Choose from the list of locations that have been preselected for the employee. To find out more about locations, see "Locations". If Location is not specified, the hours recorded will be assigned to the default location for the employee when the timesheets are imported into a pay run.
- To clear the timesheet line, click the red 'x' on the right hand side of the line. (Note: approved/processed/rejected timesheets are unable to be edited or cleared)
- Only relevant rows need to be filled out. If the employee did not work on particular days, those lines may be left blank.
- Once all required changes have been made, click the Save button. NOTE: If the user has 'Approve Timesheets' permission, the 'Save' button will have an additional option to 'Save and approve' by clicking the arrow to the right of the button.
When entering timesheets for an employee, you can view the costs of the associated timesheets by following these steps:
- From the filter menu, ensure the "Show Costs" option is selected
- Once this option is selected, you will then see a "Costs" column. You can hover over the "costs" value for any timesheet to see the cost breakdown
Some additional timesheet details are not able to be entered via the timesheet grid and must be entered via the timesheet editor. These details include:
- Notes for the timesheet
- Additional breaks (if you need more than one)
- Higher classification (if an employee is on an employment agreement and works higher duties for a period of time).
If any of these details are required, the timesheet editor may be opened by clicking the 'pencil' icon on the right hand side of the grid.
Doing so will open up the timesheet editor where all aspects of the timesheet may be edited.
Once the required changes have been made, click 'Apply' to close the dialog and return to the timesheet grid.
Clicking on the 'Actions' button provides several additional features:
- Add another timesheet line: If the employee works multiple shifts for the one day, this action will enable the user to add another line for a particular day.
- Copy timesheets from last week: This will pre-fill the timesheets for this period with the same timesheets that were entered in the last period. The timesheets may then be modified as required before clicking Save.
- Clear timesheets: This will clear all of the timesheets. Note: Approved/Processed/Rejected timesheets are read-only and may not be cleared.
- Revert changes: This will reload the timesheets for this period, discarding any changes made since the last save.
- The fastest method of data entry is to click on a cell and then begin typing. To move to the next cell, either press Tab or Enter or one of the arrow keys.
- Copy and Paste is available. You may fill in one timesheet line, then select it, copy to clipboard and then paste it into another line. You may also copy timesheet(s) from a different period and paste them in
- Drag-down is available. Notice the little square (fill handle) in the corner of the selected cell. You can drag it (drag-down) to repeat the values from the cell.
- For any advanced functions (such as entering additional breaks or notes), click the pencil icon on the right to bring up a timesheet editor
- No changes are saved until you click the Save button.
The following keyboard shortcuts may be used in the timesheet grid.
- Arrow Up ↑ – move to the cell above current active cell (if exists)
- Arrow Down ↓ – move to cell underneath current active cell (if exists)
- Arrow Right → – move to the cell on the right side of the current active cell (if exists)
- Arrow Left ← – move to the cell on the left side of current active cell (if exists)
- Tab – move to the cell on the right side of the current active cell (if exists)
- Tab + Shift – move to the cell on the left side of current active cell (if exists)
- Home – move to the first cell in a row
- End – move to the last cell in a row
- Ctrl + Home – move to the first cell in a column
- Ctrl + End – move to the last cell in a column
- Ctrl + A – select all
- Shift + Arrow Up ↑ – extend selection of the cell above
- Shift + Arrow Down ↓ – extend selection of the cell underneath
- Shift + Arrow Right → – extend selection of the cell on the right
- Shift + Arrow Left ← – extend selection of the cell on the left
- Shift + Home – select all cells in the row to the right including the current cell
- Shift + End – select all cells in the row to the left including the current cell
- Ctrl + Shift + Home – select all cells in the column to the top including the current cell
- Ctrl + Shift + End – select all cells in the column to the bottom including the current cell
- Enter – open/close cell editor
- F2 – open cell editor
- Esc – cancel editing and close cell editor
- Backspace – empty cell
- Delete – empty cell
- Ctrl + C – copy cell's content
- Ctrl + X – cut cell's content
- Ctrl + V – paste cell's content
- Ctrl + Arrow Down ↓ – create another timesheet for the same date as the current line
- Ctrl + Enter - fill all selected cells with edited cell's value
- Ctrl + Z – undo
- Ctrl + Y – redo
If you have any feedback or questions please contact us via firstname.lastname@example.org