Work Types are used when entering timesheets and can be used as an input when creating pay conditions. You can create work types and map them to pay categories or leave categories.
Add a work type
To do this go to the 'Payroll settings' tab on the payroll dashboard > 'Work types' under the 'Pay conditions' heading > click the 'Add' button in the far right-hand corner:
You will then need to enter the following fields:
- Name - of the work type (required)
- External ID; if an external id is used that has been used before you won't be able to save it if the 'unique external Id' setting is switched on. This setting is located on the Payroll settings > Advanced settings page.
- Automatically enabled for - If you want all employees to be able to use this work type then you should tick this box. To enable the work type to be used by specific employees you will need to manually enable the work type as described below.
- Work Maps to:
- Employee's Primary Pay Category
- Pay Category (drop down with various options)
- Leave Category (drop down with various options)
- None (Shift condition): see here for more information on shift conditions;
To enable the work type to be used by specific employees you will need to manually enable the work type. To do this click on the employee's record > Work Types > select the relevant work types you need to enable for the employee > save.
When an employee submits their timesheets via the self-service portal (or when a manager submits timesheets on behalf of an employee), this will be the set of work types that are available to be selected.
Delete a work type
You are able to delete a work type by hovering over the entry that you want to delete and clicking the red cross to the right of the screen:
Restoring a work type
You are able to restore a work type by going to Payroll settings > Restore deleted items, and selecting 'Work type' from the drop down box. A list of all deleted work types will appear and you can click the 'Restore' option against the work type that you are wanting to reinstate.
There are several ways that timesheets can be created:
- Employees can enter their timesheets through the self-service portal or WorkZone;
- Employees can clock in/out using Clock Me In;
- Employees can clock in/out using WorkZone;
- Managers can submit timesheets on behalf of employees in the employee management area - see here;
- Timesheets can be submitted from external systems via our API functions. They can be submitted in a pre-approved state (meaning they are immediately available for import into a pay run) or unapproved (meaning they have to go through the standard approval process first).
- Timesheets can be imported via a file or the roster
As an example, we’ll look at submitting timesheets via the employee portal although the page in the employee management area is very similar.
When logging into the self-service area as an employee now, there will be an additional ‘widget’ showing on the dashboard. From here, we can enter timesheets.
You can select either 'Week Ending' or 'Fortnight Ending' from the drop down box and to change dates simply click on the left or right arrows, or the date for a calendar view:
We’ve designed the interface to be very keyboard-friendly for efficient data entry. For example, when entering start and end times, rather than click through the drop down list to find 9:00AM, you can simply type 9a and it will recognise it as 9:00am. Similarly, for example, 530p will be recognised as 5:30pm.
A few items of note:
- If Work Type is not specified, the hours recorded will be assigned to the default pay category for the employee when the timesheets are imported into a pay run.
- If Location is not specified, the hours recorded will be assigned to the default location for the employee when the timesheets are imported into a pay run.
- If a Work Type is to be added to a day where a timesheet already exists, i.e. the employee's hours are on the timesheet for that day, you can add another timesheet line for any day by choosing this option from the Actions button on the create timesheets page
If you have any feedback or questions please contact us via email@example.com