To update an employees national insurance record you need to open the employee file and then click National Insurance Record on the left menu.
Important information on this page includes:
- National Insurance Number: You have a National Insurance number to make sure your National Insurance contributions and tax are recorded against your name only. It’s made up of letters and numbers and never changes. If when your employee started employment and they didn't know their NI number you can add it in here or if it was entered in wrong it can be edited here.
- Tax code: The tax code is used by to work out how much Income Tax to take from pay or pension. HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) will tell you which code to use to collect the right tax. The tax code will normally start with a number and end with a letter.
- Employment type: This is either full time, part time or casual. This can be edited here if the employees employment type changes.
- Employee statement: This is where you can edit if this is the only job on or before the 5th April, after the 5th April or more than one income.
- National Insurance Category: Employers use an employee’s National Insurance category letter when they run payroll to work out how much they both need to contribute.
- Tax Calculation Method: You need to select cumulative or non cumulative (week1/month1)
- Additional Information: If the employee is a company director you need to check the box. If they have a student loan you need to check the box.
Click Save when finished.
If you have any questions or feedback, please let us know via email@example.com