As a payroll manager, you get requests coming in all the time from staff that can potentially affect your pay runs. Ad hoc requests to add a child support payment for example, or to change an employee bank account. Sometimes these things can be done in advance, but sometimes you need to adjust them in a pay run.
On top of this, you have the normal things you have to do like check the bank account for funds, review timesheets to ensure they’re all approved, check for employees taking more leave than they should and more. These are standard operating steps that can easily be forgotten or missed on each pay run.
Pay run tasks makes it easy to track all your pay run processing steps by allowing you to setup recurring and one off pay run tasks that can be applied to the entire pay run or specific employees.
From within the task management screen, you can quickly add new tasks as well as review upcoming tasks for a given pay run.
Go to the left side dash and hover over the 'Tasks' icon:
Select 'Create a task' and you will see the below screen:
Click on 'Create Task' and use all or some of the following options to configure the task:
- Employees (all or specific employees)
- Pay Schedule
- Pay run/s the task applies to
- Task period end date
- Private or public (NB. if the "Is private" option is ticked then only the user that created it will be able to see it, on the Manage Tasks screen or in the Pay Run)
- Add notes relevant to the task. When adding notes, you can choose whether Managers (i.e. restricted users) are also able to view the note
- Attach any document(s) relevant to the task
You can do a number of things within 'View Tasks':
- Create a task
- Create a pay run
- View upcoming tasks
- See a snapshot of tasks that have not been completed in pay runs
- Mark a task as complete for a historic pay run. NB. this is only an option if the task actually appeared in a pay run - if the way the task was set up did not result in it showing up in at least one pay run (eg. the period end date set didn't match a pay run) then you won't see the option to mark it as completed, anywhere - because it cannot be completed.
Click on a task to open the context panel. You will be able to view details of the task and see which pay runs have had the task completed or not completed.
Tasks in the Pay Run
When you go to process a pay run, the task list will be present and you’ll be able to view which tasks need to be completed.
You can see which pay runs have tasks in them as they have a number in a circle at the end of the line in the 'Pay Runs' screen. If you hover over this it tells you if the task is incomplete.
From within a pay run you will be able to view the task list by clicking on the tasks tab.
You can use the minimise arrow to 'move' the list aside while you action the task.
You can recall the list by clicking on the arrow again.
You can also quickly see which employees have a task assigned as they’ll have the “tasks” indicator next to their name in the pay run.
Finally, you can review the tasks that were complete in the pay run audit report.
You can also generate a Task Report to get more details of tasks for a specific pay run or date range.
If you have any questions or feedback, please let us know via firstname.lastname@example.org