To access the Superannuation settings page you will need to go to the Payroll Settings tab > Superannuation (under the Business Settings heading). From here you can manage your businesses Superannuation settings.
A short video on this setup can be found here.
There are 2 tabs:
NB. If you are wanting to change any of the below settings for an employing entity, instead of navigating to the 'superannuation' page, you'll need to go to Payroll settings > Employing entities page. You can then follow the same instructions as outlined here.
The page will show different settings depending on whether or not you have registered with Beam. Click on the relevant links to be taken to
Non Beam users
If you are yet to register with Beam you will see the following details:
You'll be able to add/delete default super funds, as well as register with Beam so that you can submit automated super payments.
Default super funds
Adding a default super fund
- your employee doesn’t choose a super fund, and
- The ATO have advised you that they don’t have a stapled super fund.
Once you have set up a default fund/s, this will allow:
- Admin users to select this option when adding a new employee to the system.
- Employees to select this option when completing the employee self setup (onboarding) process.
- You can add a default fund following these steps:
- Payroll settings > superannuation tab > click on the ‘add’ button;
- Enter the fund name, ABN or USI in the search field and click on the ‘Search’ button;
- A list of results will appear based on your search criteria > Select the relevant fund;
- Once the fund is selected, the fund name, ABN and USI will populate the 'default super fund' section. You can then enter the phone number and website address of the super fund and click on 'save';
- You can add more than the one default fund, just start the process again by clicking on the ‘add’ button.
- Deleting a Default Super Fund
- You can delete a default super fund by hovering over the name of the fund and clicking on the encircled red 'X' icon:
- Register with Beam
- This article will guide you through Beam's registration process.
- Beam Users
- If you are already registered via Beam for automated super payments you'll see details similar to this:
- It comprises the following sections:
- Default super funds
- Current Beam settings
- Manage Beam settings
- Default super funds
- It is an ATO requirement for all employers to nominate a default super fund (click here for more detail) but you will only use your "employer nominated fund" if an employee doesn't provide their own fund details. If your employees do provide their own fund details you'll add those to the super funds page of their employee record.
- If you are registered with Beam and want to add or delete a default super fund you will need to do this via the Beam user interface. To do this: Payroll Settings > Superannuation > Click on the ‘Edit details in Beam’ button (under the Manage Beam section):
- This will take you to the Beam user interface where you will need to click through to section 3 - default fund. This page will show all existing default funds. You can then complete a search for the fund you wish to add using the fund name, ABN or USI:
- Select the default fund by clicking on the checkbox from the results section and then the default fund will appear in the default fund listing. You can add more than one default fund if you wish:
- Or you can delete a fund you no longer required by hovering over the name of the fund and clicking on the 'X' that will appear:
- If you have added a default fund which is not Sunsuper, you may join Sunsuper as a participating employer by selecting the 'Please register me as a Sunsuper participating employer' checkbox as shown below. Joining Sunsuper as a participating employer provides you with the ability to create a member account on behalf of an employee. This is optional:
- If you do not wish to join Sunsuper as a participating employer then leave the checkbox unticked.
- NB: If there are no further changes to be made you must click on the 'next' option to take you through all sections of the wizard until you reach the terms & conditions (T&Cs). You'll then need to accept all the T&Cs again and click on 'BACK TO PAYROLL' before returning to payroll so the change you made is recognised.
- Current Beam settings
- This section will outline the following settings: , and refund bank accounts that have been entered.
- Current ABN: We will show the ABN recorded in Beam here. If the ABN is ever changed at some point (on either the Payroll settings > Business details page or in the Beam UI) and the 2 ABNs no longer match, a warning will be triggered because the direct debit authority will no longer be linked to the correct ABN. You'll be able click a link in the warning to fix the details.
- Direct debit account: If you are registered with Beam and need to add or delete the bank account details set up for direct debit payments, you will need to do this via the Beam user interface. To see detailed instructions, click here to be taken further down the article.
- Refund bank account: When submitting a super batch via the Beam clearing house, a bank account for refunds is required and is selected when the user submits a batch for payment. The following bank accounts will be automatically available for selection as a refund bank account when submitting a super batch. You can have multiple Refund Bank Accounts:
- any bank account that is set up in payroll for an ABA file; and
- any bank account added as a Direct Debit account in Beam.
If you don't have an ABA file set up and you have not added any bank account/s for direct debit in Beam OR you would like to add other/different bank accounts for refunds you can do this from this page. Once saved, the refund bank account/s will display, and you will need to choose the refund bank account for each super batch you submit.
You can delete a manually entered refund bank account (this does not include bank accounts added via Beam) by hovering over the account details > click on the ‘x’ icon on the right:
Any bank accounts added via Beam cannot be edited/removed from the 'refund bank accounts' section. They will need to be edited/removed via Beam by clicking on the ‘edit super details’ option.
- Manage Beam settings
- An important thing to note if you change (i.e. update OR delete) any information in the Beam user interface is that you will need to (after making your changes) click on the 'next' option to take you through all sections of the wizard until you reach the terms & conditions (T&Cs). You'll then need to accept all the T&Cs again and click on 'BACK TO PAYROLL' before returning to payroll so the change you made is recognised.
- Managing Direct Debit Bank Account/s
- If you are registered with Beam and need to add or delete the bank account details set up for direct debit payments, you will need to do this via the Beam user interface. To do this go to Payroll settings > Superannuation, and click on the ‘edit super details’ button (under the Manage Beam section). This will take you to the Beam user interface where you will need to click through to section 2 - payment method.
This page will show all existing bank accounts. You can then enter in the details of a bank account you would like to add by clicking on the `Add Another' option. N.B: You can add multiple bank accounts if you wish:
- Enter the new bank account details, then click on 'Save'. Multiple bank accounts will appear as follows:
- To delete a bank account, you will need to click on the bank account you wish to delete and then click ‘Remove’:
- The following pop up message will appear. You will need to click on ‘OK’ to continue to delete the bank account (or you can cancel the action):
- The screen will update and now only show the remaining bank account/s or no bank account (if there was previously only the one bank account).
- NB. If there are no further changes to be made you must click on the 'next' option to take you through all sections of the wizard until you reach the terms & conditions (T&Cs). You'll then need to accept all the T&Cs again and click on 'BACK TO PAYROLL' before returning to payroll so the change you made is recognised.
- Reassigning Super Fund Details
- When a super fund changes the ABN or USI for a super product you can use this function to make bulk updates to the employees' super fund details.
From the 'Superannuation' screen, click on the `Reassign Super Fund Details' tab > enter into the search field the super fund details you need to switch employees FROM (fund name, ABN or USI) > search:
- Once you select the required fund from the list, the number of employees and employee names with that super fund will be displayed on the screen. You can click on the drop-down arrow to see the list of these employees.
- You will then need to enter into the search the details of the super fund you would like these employees to switch TO (fund name, ABN or USI) and click on 'Search':
- Select the required fund from the list and click `Update'.
- You will then be prompted to update the super fund details for all non-processed contributions. If you select YES this will update the super fund details for all contributions that have been calculated in pay runs but where the super is yet to be processed. If you select 'No' the super fund details will only be updated for any super contributions calculated in pay runs created after the update:
- You will then see the message that the fund has been successfully updated for all relevant employees.
- If you have any feedback or questions please contact us via firstname.lastname@example.org.