You can easily pay employee super contributions directly to any registered super fund in Australia by taking advantage of the inbuilt integration with the Beam super fund clearing house.
With Beam, you do not need access to an external portal, all Beam information can be found within your payroll system, using one easy login. For all queries regarding Beam, you can contact your payroll software provider.
As long as you only make super contributions quarterly, automated super payments via Beam are free however, if you choose to make more frequent contributions this is an option, but at a cost. This additional cost can be found on the subscription page of your payroll file.
For more information on Beam's Fees and Costs please see page 8 of their PDS
Getting Started with Automated Super Payments
- Business/company details, Business address, Contact details;
- Payment method and details;
- Default super fund(s); and
N.B. Please check your business details to ensure they are correct before you register, as the system will pre-fill these details in Beam.
- Click on the Payroll Settings tab > Superannuation;
- Click on the Register with Beam option:
- You will then be redirected to the Beam user interface where there are 4 easy steps to complete the registration
Any time you go to the Beam site you MUST progress through to the END of the Beam wizard process or else the information will not to sync back to payroll.
Step 1 - Business/company details, Business address and Contact details:
Please check all the details that have been pre-filled from the Business Details page. Then click on the ‘Next’ button:
NB. if you change the Family name or email address in the contact details section in your Beam settings you may have trouble accessing the transaction confirmation statement Beam will send you.
Step 2 - Payment method and details:
There are 3 ways you can pay super contributions with Beam: Direct Debit, EFT and BPAY. The Payment method will be available to select when you submit the super payment batch.
If you do not intend to use direct debit, select the ‘No’ option and click on the ‘Next’ button:
N.B: You can enter multiple bank accounts. Click on the Add Another option and enter the details of a different bank account:
Step 3 - Default super fund(s):
The law states that you are obliged to pay SG - if your employee doesn't provide you with their super fund of choice you must pay their super into a 'default' fund. You can follow this link for further information - Determine your employer-nominated fund (default fund).
**You will need to add at least one default super fund during the Beam registration process.
***Any default funds that are added directly onto the superannuation page, under the business settings heading on the payroll settings tab (by clicking on the Add button near the top right of the screen) prior to registering with Beam will auto-populate the default fund area during the Beam registration process.
You can add your own default fund or use the Sunsuper Superannuation Fund during the registration process.
If you would like to use Sunsuper as your default fund account, click on the 'Select Sunsuper' option:
If you choose to use Sunsuper as one of your default accounts, a Sunsuper Employer account will be created for you, if you don't already have one. A Sunsuper Employer account allows to create a (new) member account on behalf of an employee (where/when required):
- when you choose the employer nominated fund on an employee's super funds page you'll leave the member number blank - when you process the first super contributions to the fund a member account/number will be automatically created and once this has been done KeyPay will automatically populate the member number field on the employee's record for you.
- the above point 1. only applies to employees who have an employer nominated fund selected on the super funds page, and it is the first contribution/s to be paid to the nominated fund. This applies whether the default/employer nominated fund is Sunsuper or another super fund
If you are using Sunsuper as the default fund and would also like to add another default fund/funds, you can do this by searching for the default fund by name, ABN or USI. Select the default fund by clicking on the checkbox from the results section. Once the default is selected, it will appear in the default fund list:
If you do NOT wish to use Sunsuper as your default fund, then you can search for your own default fund by name, ABN or USI within the 'No, I'd prefer to search for a different default fund' section as shown below:
Select the default fund by clicking on the checkbox from the results section and then the default fund will appear in the default fund listing. You can add more than one default fund if you wish:
Even if you have not taken the option to use a Sunsuper default fund you can still join Sunsuper as a participating employer if you wish, you can do so by selecting the 'Please register me as a Sunsuper participating employer' checkbox (see below).
Being a Sunsuper participating employer provides you with the ability to create a member account on behalf of an employee if ever you wanted to. This is of course optional.
If you do not wish to join Sunsuper as a participating employer then leave the checkbox unticked and click on 'Next button to proceed to the Term and Conditions step:
An employer joining Sunsuper as a participating employer is separate to selecting Sunsuper as the default fund. An employer can join Sunsuper as a participating employer, but not choose Sunsuper as their default fund but you cannot choose Sunsuper as your default fund and not become a participating employer.Additional T&Cs at the end of registration process will ask you to confirm your acceptance as a Sunsuper participating employer (where appropriate).
Step 4 - T&C's:
There will be 3 possible T&Cs to be read, confirmed and accepted.
- Beam T&C's - you will need to confirm you have read and accept the terms and conditions by clicking on the checkbox.
- Become a Sunsuper participating Employer - If you chose Sunsuper as your default fund and/or separately elected to join Sunsuper as a participating employer, you will need to read and accept the terms and conditions by clicking on the checkbox. (NB. if you didn't do either this T&C will not even appear.
- Direct Debit T&C's - If bank account details have been entered for direct debit, you will need to read and accept the Direct Debit Authority terms and conditions by clicking on the checkbox.
Then click on the ‘Next’ button:
N.B. the user must progress through to the end of the Beam wizard in order for the registration process to "take" in KeyPay.
That’s it! Congratulations! Your Beam registration is now complete. Click on ‘Back to payroll’ to go back to the Superannuation Settings page.
You will notice that the Default fund from Beam has now populated and saved into the Superannuation Settings page.
You can make amendments to details by clicking on the ‘Edit Super Details’ button which will redirect you to Beam:
Registering multiple employing entities
If you have multiple employing entities set up in your payroll file, you will need to register the additional employing entities separately. Navigate to Payroll settings > Employing entities > select the required entity and then click on 'Register with Beam'. You will be required to complete the same steps detailed above:
Once you’ve registered you can make automated super payments by following these instructions.
If you have any questions or feedback please let us know via firstname.lastname@example.org.