Job Costing in QuickBooks Online
Job costing can be done in QuickBooks Online by setting up classes and locations. Matching the class and location in QBO to the location in your business file will allow the P&L by class report to be a job costing report.
The payroll system does not do job costing, however you can structure locations in a similar way to jobs which will allow you to allocate earnings and therefore see the wages expense for each location. This is to allow you to expense by job, department or physical location. This information can then be exported via a journal entry into your accounting software e.g QuickBooks Online when a pay run is processed..
Please note: The system cannot handle billings or invoices and you cannot assign a rate or dollar value to the hours worked.
To get started you would first need to set up classes and locations in QuickBooks Online then import/assign these into the system.
Set up Classes and Locations in QuickBooks Online
Set up Class or Location Tracking in QuickBooks Online.
This article refers to QuickBooks Online
The best method to track different parts of your company is to use either Class Tracking or Location Tracking. Both features let you track income and expenses for separate parts of your business. You can use either one of them or both of them together. These features are available only in Quickbooks Online Plus.
Class Tracking specifies a different class for each detail line of a transaction. With Location Tracking you can assign a location to an entire transaction. You can choose the term by which Location tracking is described within Settings as well. You can then run reports for the whole company or per class or location.
To turn on either of these features:
- Click on the Gear icon > Company Settings (or Account and Settings depending on what you see).
- Click on Company (or Advanced if you entered this menu through Account and Settings) from the left menu bar
- In the Categories section, click on the Edit icon
- Place a check in the box for the category you want to enable and select the settings for the category
- Click Save
To establish the categories:
- Go to the Gear icon > All Lists
- Click on Classes or Locations
- Click on New on the upper right
- Enter the information
- Click Save
Note: In order to add or modify Classes or Locations you must have master administrator, company administrator or the appropriate custom user access. If you are unsure of your access rights please contact your master administrator.
Importing QuickBooks Locations into the System
Import your QuickBooks Online Locations.
You can import locations into the system by following these steps:
Log into QuickBooks Online and go to the "Employees" tab
- Click on "Payroll Settings" and then "Locations"
From the locations screen, click the "Add" button and select the "Import QuickBooks Locations" option
- Your QuickBooks locations will now be available in the system.
Assigning QuickBooks Classes to Locations
Assign Your QuickBooks Online Classes to Locations in the payroll system
This article refers to the payroll platform
You can assign classes to locations by following these steps:
- Log into QuickBooks Online and click on the "Employees" tab
- Click on the "Settings" tab and select "Locations"
- Click on the location to which you want to assign a class
- From the "Classes" drop down, choose the class you want to assign to the location
- Click "Save"
Your class will now be assigned to your location
VIDEO: Using locations for "Job Costing" in the Payroll Platform
The following video will take a look at how you can set up locations in the system which will allow you to allocate earnings and therefore see the wages expense for each location.
If you have any questions or feedback please let us know via email@example.com