This article provides guidelines about when to use the different work types and tags that are included as part of the pre-built Clerks Private Sector award package. For further information about this industry award, refer to http://www.fwc.gov.au/documents/modern_awards/award/ma000002/default.htm
Allowance rate update for Kilometre Allowance - Car (above and below ATO limit). Further information can be found at ATO.
1 August 2018
The award has been updated to reflect changes made as part of the Fair Work Decision 4 year review of modern awards. The determination for the new clause in the modern award allowing employees to take unpaid leave to deal with family and domestic violence can be found here. Family and Domestic Violence leave applies from the first full pay period on or after 1 August 2018. Further information can be found at Fair Work.
Employees, including part-time and casual employees are entitled to 5 days unpaid family and domestic violence leave each year of their employment. The 5 days renews each 12 months of their employment but does not accumulate if the leave is not used.
A new leave category has been created - “Family and Domestic Violence Leave” and a new Work Type - “Family and Domestic Violence Leave taken”. The Leave Allowance Templates and any impacted rule conditions have also been updated
29 June 2018
The Award has been updated to reflect the Fair Work Commission’s national minimum wage increase of 3.5% from its Annual Wage Review 2017-18 decision. This also includes updates to expense-related allowances.
These changes come into effect from the first full pay period on or after 1 July 2018. Please install these updates AFTER you have finalised your last pay run prior to the first full pay period commencing on or after 1 July 2018.
Additionally, the following changes have been made as part of this update:
- New laundry allowance pay categories and rule conditions were created to reflect the ATO threshold maximum limits for claiming of laundry (not dry cleaning) for deductible clothing under the Award. Further information can be found in the “Cleaning of Work Clothing” section of this ATO article.
- The Payment Summary Classification settings for Allowance based pay categories have been updated as per STP requirements.
- We have created a new rule - 11.6 Apply Overtime - Over Advanced Standard Hours - Part-Time. This rule reflects the following provisions of clause 11.3:
- the hours worked each day;
- which days of the week the employee will work;
- the actual starting and finishing times of each day.
Previously we could only assess the number of hours worked per week for overtime purposes using the existing Apply Overtime - Over Standard Hours - Part Time rule. Now, however, we can assess the Advanced Standard Work Hours as set up within the employee's Pay Run Defaults screen.
For example, if an employee's Advanced Standard Work Hours were as follows:
The rule will assess hours as follows:
- Any time worked on Wednesday, Thursday and Saturday will be deemed overtime;
- Any time worked before the start times on Monday, Tuesday, Friday and Sunday will be deemed overtime; and
- Any time worked after the end times on Monday, Tuesday, Friday and Sunday will be deemed overtime.
(a) This rule only works where Advanced Standard Work Hours have been set up using start and finish times, NOT hours only;
(b) If no Advanced Standard Work Hours have been set up for a part time employee, then all hours will be deemed overtime.
- Fix any auto meal break rules so that they don't apply to leave requests
- Updated allowance pay categories configuration. e.g. changed payment summary classifications.
- Created Kilometre allowance pay categories - above and below ATO limits
An update is available which amends the following:
- Ensures that time worked between midnight and 7AM on a Saturday is treated as overtime
- Creates new linked pay categories to deal with "work during a meal break". This had previously been applied as rate multipliers in the rule set. This is in line with Fair Work guidance received on the application of the "work during a meal break" penalty.
An update is available which now allows us to consolidate both the progression of pay rates based on both date of birth and anniversary date within the same Employment Agreement. As an end user, this means that once the employment agreement for a level of the award is chosen, it will not need to be changed while the employee remains on that level. The rate of pay will automatically update as needed if the employee has a birthday or accrues another year of service (and the award requires an increased rate).
After applying this update it will be important to follow these steps:
1. Review your employee list and identify employees who are currently assigned as a Level 1 or Level 2 employee (either Day worker or Shiftworker)
2. Go to Employee > Pay run defaults and reassign them a new Employment Agreement. As an example, if the employment agreement was previously called "Day worker Level 1 Yr1" will now simply be called "Day worker Level 1"
The award will now look at both the employees age and the length of their service (with reference to their anniversary date) and automatically update their rate of pay as they progress.
Installing and Configuring the Pre-Built Award Package
For details on how to install and configure this Pre-built Award Template, please review the detailed help article here.
First Aid Officer
Use this work type when an employee who has been trained to render first aid and who is the current holder of appropriate first aid qualifications and is appointed by the employer to perform first aid duty. Using this work type will add a weekly allowance.
Use this work type when an employee is required to work more than 1.5 hours of overtime after their ordinary end time without being provided 24 hours’ prior notice.
Use this work type to record the number of kilometres an employee has travelled using their own motorcycle in the performance of their duties.
Motor Car Allowance
Use this work type to record the number of kilometres an employee has travelled using their own vehicle in the performance of their duties.
Public Holiday not Worked
Choose this work type where an employee is not required to work on a shift falling on a gazetted public holiday that the employee would have otherwise worked had it not been a public holiday.
Overtime Meal (4+ OT hrs)
Use this work type when an employee is required to work more than 4 hours of overtime after their ordinary end time without being provided 24 hours’ prior notice.
No Meal Break
A half hour unpaid meal break is automatically deducted for shifts over 5 hours. Use this work type to indicate that no meal break was taken during the shift so that a meal break is not deducted from hours worked. The employee will be paid at double their hourly rate if this occurs as per clause 26.1 of the Award.
Choose this work type when annual leave is taken as per clause 29 of the Award.
Choose this work type when personal or carer's leave is taken as per clause 30 of the Award.
Long Service Leave
Choose this work type when long service leave is taken
Choose this work type when unpaid leave is taken
Choose this work type when compassionate leave is taken as per clause 30 of the Award.
Time in Lieu Taken
Choose this work type when time in lieu is taken
TIL of Overtime
Choose this work type if the employee elects to accrue time in lieu rather than be paid for any overtime for a shift. Refer to clause 27.5 of the Award.
Assign this tag if the employee is employed as a seven day shift worker who is regularly rostered to work on Sundays and public holidays for the purpose of accruing an additional 1 week of annual leave per year.
First Aid Officer
Assign this tag to an employee who has been trained to render first aid and who is the current holder of appropriate first aid qualifications and is appointed in writing to perform first aid duty on a regular ongoing basis. If this tag is assigned to an employee, you will not be required to attach the First Aid Officer work type to the employee's timesheet as the allowance will be assigned automatically.
Assign this tag to an employee where their uniform is not laundered at the expense of the employer. Full time employees will be paid a weekly allowance. Part time and casual employees will be paid an allowance per shift worked as per clause 19.2 (c) of the Award.
Permanent Night Shift
Assign this tag to a shiftworker who is required to work night shifts that do not rotate with another shift or shifts or day work and which continues for a period of not less than four consecutive weeks.
TIL of OT
Assign this tag to an employee where they elect to permanently accrue time in lieu rather than be paid at overtime rates. Refer to clause 27.5 of the Award.
If you have any feedback or questions please contact us via firstname.lastname@example.org