Reporting Specific Amounts Separately on Payment Summaries


Some amounts paid to employees need to be reported separately on their payment summaries, for example tool or motor vehicle allowances may need to be shown as 'Allowances'.

For these types of amounts, you can specify where on the payment summary they should appear by using the Payment Summary Classification setting for the relevant Pay Category or Deduction Category.


The different payment summary classification options are listed below. The name of the classification corresponds to the section of the employee payment summary where amounts will be reported.

Payment Summary Classifications for Pay Categories

  • Default (amounts paid to pay categories with the default classification are reported as "Gross Payments" on an employee's payment summary)
  • Allowances
  • Lump Sum A (Type R)
  • Lump Sum A (Type T)
  • Lump Sum B
  • Lump Sum D
  • Lump Sum E
  • Community Development Employment Projects (CDEP) payments
  • Exempt foreign employment income
  • Exclude from payment summary

Payment Summary Classifications for Deduction Categories

  • Default
  • Union or Professional Association Fees
  • Workplace Giving

If you'd like some more information about how different types of payments need to be reported on employees' payment summaries, please consult the relevant ATO documentation here:

If you have any questions or feedback, please let us know via


Powered by Zendesk