Note: This only applies to businesses that are exempt from reporting STP, and have therefore chosen not to, during the 2019/2020 financial year. Exemptions only apply to:
- WPN holders; or
- Closely held employees of businesses with 19 or less employees (but only for the closely held employees).
If you choose not to lodge the payment summary annual report electronically or cannot (due to the fact you are a WPN holder), you can automatically generate an 'EMPDUPE' file which then allows you to upload via your Business Portal. If you are lodging your PAYG payment summary report electronically as per these instructions, this support article does not apply to you.
This should be read in conjunction with the EOFY Guide.
The ATO requires that all businesses submit a PAYG payment summary report for their employees by August 14.
To generate the EMPDUPE file follow these simple steps:
- Make sure you have published the PAYG payment summaries for your employees.
- Make sure you have updated your ATO Settings details. You can update these on the ATO Settings screen, accessed via Payroll Settings > ATO Settings.
- Navigate to the Payment Summaries screen from your payroll dashboard via Reports > Payment Summaries (listed under 'ATO Reporting').
- Within the payment summaries section, click on "Show Payment Summaries", click on "EMPDUPE" and then click on "Download":
If there are multiple employing entities set up in your payroll business, ensure you filter by a specific employing entity, ie you cannot generate an EMPDUPE file for 'All' employing entities - rather, you must do this on a per employing entity basis.
- The EMPDUPE file will then download to your browser. Save this file to your desktop or some other location.
- You will then need to log in to your Business Portal and import the EMPDUPE file.
What if I need to lodge amended payment summaries?
At this stage, you would have already published your payment summaries so the first thing you will need to do is unpublish the payment summaries. Refer to the section "What if I need to amend the payment summaries after I’ve published them?" of this article for instructions on unpublishing affected payment summaries.
Once you've completed the steps in the article mentioned above, click on the "EMPDUPE" button and select to report on the amended payment summaries only, as follows:
Click on "Download". The EMPDUPE file will then download to your browser. Save this file to your desktop or some other location. You will then need to log in to your Business Portal and import the EMPDUPE file.
If you have any questions or feedback, please let us know via firstname.lastname@example.org.